Saturday, January 22, 2011

Build day one - the floor

Well, a picture is worth a thousand words. Given I'm pretty wordy I'll probably put a thousand words here anyway!




Basic floor frame. Each side is 1270 mm long. Odd size? Nah it's 50 inches exactly.


The edges were then mitred at 45 degrees, probably took a little too much off, but near enough. Looks okay anyway. I then cut some floor supports. I'm already loving the new table saw. It's paid for itself already.


So frame work made, and floor piece installed. The framework is permapine as it will probably live outside most of the time an I don't want the floor rotting from damp. That being said I used MDF for the actual floor which incidentally has a habit of soaking up moisture from the air, so I feel a bit hypocritical there. Oh well I'll lather the floor with sealer before painting.


The sheet of MDF is bloody heavy so I was lucky I managed to cut it as straight as I did. but even so it needs  some filling along the edges. Tomorrow I'll sand this down and then start on the corner posts. God I hope I can find some pine tomorrow at Stratco or Bunnings the right thickness. I'd hate to have to use MDF again for the uprights.

1 comment:

  1. This is very cool. When you're done, I'll be able to introduce you to my friend who is in the final stages of building a fully operational remote control Dalek and you can have a prop-off!

    ReplyDelete